Monday, April 18, 2011

Cursed Pirate Girl chapter 4

So I'm really excited to be back working on the next book of CPG, I know I still owe a couple of people some con sketches, I haven't forgotten about you!  I just NEEDED to start the next issue.  So I thank you for your continued patience.  It will be quite a while before you see the next book laid out before you all printed up, soooo I thought it'd be okay to post a page or two along the way.  Mostly to convince you it will eventually happen and I will finish the story.  And no I don't need to convince myself, I know it will be accomplished. 

With that in mind here is the second page in Cursed Pirate Girl vol. 2 issue one -the Bright Star

                             Here are the steps that I take in doing pages. 
     -First I write out the script
     -then I break the script up into what I think will fit on a page
     -then I thumbnail out the script.  This I do almost literally, my thumbnails are 1 by 1 and a half inches and are very rough.  Some key dialog to let me know what I was thinking at that moment and usually just an idea of what panel structure I thought would work at the moment.
     -then I start working up a full size rough.  By full size I mean 6"x9" with a half inch border on the top and three quarters below and five sixteenths on each side.
     -then when I get the parts drawn up to what looks good I transfer the rough images to bristol.  With this page I worked up the main image then scanned it and adjusted the size of Haftu's head and then the whole figure.  I printed that out and worked up the fish on top of the print out.  I take a piece of tracing paper and trace it then transfer that to bristol.  I did it this way because of the minute details involved with the figures.  If there is an image with less complicated details I would have just lightboxed the print out.
     -once it's drawn out on bristol it's just a matter of inking. 
     -the last thing I do is erase any pencil I see and then put in the dialog.  While the entire piece is inked with a brush, I write the dialog in with a crow quill dip pen.

Here are the individual pages involved with making this page.

first rough, full size

print out w/ penciled water and fish added

tracing paper contour drawing, ready to be transferred

3 comments:

  1. Yikes!!! All I can really think to say of your art is Holy Crabs! I'm an instant fan. I dearly love ink work and I think I've found my fix for the year! Wonderful stuff man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing Jeremy! Your work continues to blow me away. Can't wait to meet you at HeroesCon. Thank you for sharing your process, it's very informative and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I couldn't find a email. Your interview has been posted Website Link
    http://rotteneggcreations.blogspot.com/2011/07/jeremy-bastian-alex-buechel-mike-roll.html
    video link
    http://blip.tv/RottenEggCreations/jeremy-a-bastian-alex-buechel-mike-roll-comic-con-2011-part-3-5356107

    And yes your art work is amazing, let me know if you need the embed code.

    ReplyDelete